Feature photo by Live View Studios. Knots ‘N Such is a Raleigh wedding planner.
Wedding dress shopping is quite possibly the most important, and most difficult, part of your wedding planning process. So, just how does the average bride find the dress of her dreams? I recently met with Susan, owner of Gilded Bridal, to answer this and other dress shopping questions!
About Gilded Bridal
Gilded Bridal is the hottest new bridal boutique in Raleigh, but Susan is no rookie! She’s been dressing her friends and family for their weddings and has always stayed current on the latest wedding fashions! Gilded Bridal’s key difference is that they work directly with small, independent designers to bring you uniquely stunning gowns! Aside from their connections, GB has a track record of maintaining a fun, relaxed, and accepting atmosphere where every bride can feel special! As Susan says, “Wear what makes you feel like you,” and we couldn’t agree more!
Basics of Dress Shopping
I asked Susan if there was anything in specific that brides should know going into their appointment. She advises that brides always buy for their current size, because dresses can easily be taken in, but they are more difficult to let out! Susan also suggests dress shopping sooner, rather than later, as it may take up to 6 months for your dress to come in!
This can be a very stressful time for a bride, but for expert dressers like Susan, the more detail you give her about what your dream dress looks like, the easier it is for her to find it for you! As a Gilded Bridal bride myself, I simply told her what I was looking for and the first dress she brought me was my dream dress!
When it comes to trends in the wedding dress business, Susan knows it all! However, while things like colored dresses, including hand painted watercolors, are big for bridal fashion at the moment, the Raleigh bride has other looks in mind.
- Keeping traditional, Susan’s brides tend to stick to white dresses, but of course classic colors like cool grays or light blushes are always acceptable!
- Fitted dresses that show off a bride’s beautiful figure are still in, including mermaid, trumpet, and anything in between!
- Plunging necklines are a dramatic way to capture an audience’s (and your groom’s) attention!
- Decorative backs (or no backs at all) on wedding dresses have proven that they aren’t going anywhere anytime soon!
- Sleeves on wedding dresses have been making a beautifully boho statement that Raleigh brides can’t seem to get enough of!
- Capes have been very popular as of late, and are especially lovely for Fall or Winter weddings!
If you are still looking for your dream dress, say yes to dress shopping at Gilded Bridal! With their expertise, network of designers, and fun atmosphere, you’re sure to find “the one”!